As promised, here's a collection of my favorite live covers performed by Elliott Smith. They're made up mostly of Beatles and solo Beatles material, but there are some obscure nuggets in here as well. As a rule here, Smith ends up owning songs here that were, in most cases, written before he was even born, and I've personally been pledging allegiance to Elliott since the first time I heard Either/Or. That record got me through a broken heart.
Check out "Thirteen" and "Jealous Guy" especially.
If you enjoy this material, check out Rawkblog's complete collection of Elliott Smith live covers.
It's an incredible resource, and even though some of the performances and audio quality are spotty, it's a good time investment.
Also, before I sign off, I have to give a shout out to my Grandmother, Judy. She's been really into Merriweather Post Pavillion since I first played it for her this winter, and I'm convinced she's the coolest grandmother on the planet. She took me to see The Matrix when I was twelve, made a beautiful quilt for me before I left for college, and I love her dearly.
Favorite Elliott Smith Live Covers
- Thirteen (Big Star) [6.02.98]
- Jealous Guy (John Lennon) [4.17.98]
- These Days (Nico) [10.14.99]
- Harvest Moon (Neil Young) [3.29.99]
- Waterloo Sunset (The Kinks) [4.12.97]
- For No One (The Beatles) [11.14.97]
- Long Long Long (The Beatles) [10.01.02]
- Isn't It A Pity (George Harrison) [8.12.98]
- Yer Blues (The Beatles) [11.10.00]